Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Remix Radiohead...for a fee


For years bands like the Nine Inch Nails have released "tracked-out" version of their songs, for users of the Apple program Garageband. They released these on their own website, and gave fans a chance to remix their songs for album releases. Burger King had a remix contest for the Super Bowl 2 years ago, and the band Blonde Redhead had one last year (which I created the Garageband file for.)


Radiohead has decided to follow this trend, however they have added their own twist to it. You have to buy the tracks! According to iTunes they are, "giving fans a chance to remix the blissful third track from the groundbreaking album In Rainbows."

Buying the EP on iTunes before April 8th will give you an exclusive e-mail access code for a Garageband File download.

I'm not sure whether I will buy a remix kit or not, I really don't like that the band is charging for the track stems. I understand it is their personal right and intellectual property, but people remix songs for fun, and making people pay for that privilage is silly. That's just the way I feel though.

If you do remix the song, send me a copy of it, and I'll put it in an iMeem playlist for all the readers to hear.

No comments: